Monday 24 June 2013

BEAUCOUPS OF BLUES




BEAUCOUPS OF BLUES : The second album from Ringo Starr. Around this time, Ringo was still searching for his identity in music. This was a country album, a style far removed from its predecessor, "Sentimental Journey' which was a collection of oldies that his mother liked. Ringo have always like country music. Critics have preferred this to his first album but not me. While I find some moment of solace in his first album, I find this a rather tiring listen. This was actually an album of new songs composed specially for Ringo. If it have been an album of covers, it could have been mildly enjoyable like his previous album. Every time I put on this Cd and that was between years, mind you, nothing remains in my mind. The songs here are just not memorable at all. Maybe one or two for a few moments but overall, not an album I enjoyed listening to. I like the cover though.

Beaucoups Of Blues ( Rabin ) : The single that was released but it didn't do too well. Always the odd one out among his greates
t collection, which was usually rock in nature. Listen as a stand along track, it's pleasant enough but 10 more of this kind of music......

Love Don't Last Long ( Howard ) : Not an entirely bad track. Could even grow to like it if I've listened to it a few more time.

Fastest Growing Heartache In The West ( Kingston / Dycus ) : This uptempo track lifts the mood up slightly. One of the better track here.

Without Her ( Pickard ) :  This could have been better if sung by a better equipped artist. Ringo just doesn't have the chop to pull this kind of lonesome song off. Not a bad track. Only problem was with the delivery.

Woman Of The Night ( Pickard ) : Could have been the same song as the previous to me if I have not look at the credits. Probably because it was written by the same guy and delivered in the same passionless style as the singer.


I'd Be Talking All The Time ( Howard / Pickard ) : This flared slightly better 'cos of the slightly uptempo  instrumental and the fiddling.

$15 Draw ( Pickard ) : A lukewarm track. Interesting story though. Four tracks by the same writer in a row. Ringo should have known that Beatles Land.
he is now not in

Wine, Women And Loud Happy Songs ( Kingston ) : Now only I see the wisdom of why The Beatles let Ringo sings only one song per album. His laid back singing could put normal folks to sleep. Dean Martin he ain't.

I Wouldn't Have You Any Other Way ( Howard ) : Another track that have me aching to press the skip button. The slight saving grace was the girly chorus backing him.

Loser's  Lounge ( Pierce ) : Now this is one track that actually works. Ringo's vocal blends in well with this joyful track. This one actually have me shaking my head with the tune.

Waiting ( Howard ) : Seems the previous fun track was not infectious. We are back to sleep inducing track here. I'm thankful that we are almost coming to an end. While Ringo's waiting for his love one, I am waiting for the album to end.

Silent Homecoming ( Pickard ) : The last track and probably if it's a record, I'll be standing and waiting by the side of the record player.

Coochy Coochy ( Starkey ) :  Ironically, it was this original from Ringo Starr, who was not really a composer of note that woke me up from the slumber that Ringo puts me to the first place. A kind of rock meets country track.

Nashville Jam [ Instrumental ] ( Daniels / Kirby / Howard / Pickard / Reed / Shook / Kennedy / Drake / Keith / Huskey Jnr. Harman / McCoy / Richey / Lavender / Buchanan / Fontana / Starkey ) : Just an album filler, not unlike George Harrison's mindless jam on his "All Things Must Pass" album or an indication that Ringo can make just
as much noise as his more celebrated one time colleague can.

DOP : 11th January 1997.


No comments:

Post a Comment